Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Seriously Looking For Advice-

Kaylie eats everything by palming a whole handful of food and SHOVING it ALL in her mouth. I didn't think anything of it, she has always eaten this way, until the doctor asked if she can use her pointer finger and thumb to eat. I had to answer, "I don't know" she pretty much shoves everything into her mouth.

Then a friend from church who works in the nursery with Kaylie made a comment about how she had never seen anyone eat cheerios quite like Kaylie does. She said most kids pick up their cheerios with two fingers, and Kaylie shoves them all her her mouth. That got me thinking that there is something wrong with how she eats and I might need to do some coaching with her on the proper way to eat. I know she can learn, so if I need to redirect her I can and will, I just don't know if it is that big of a deal.

I have very little to complain about in regards to food, she is a great eater, eating pretty much everything we put in front of her. I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, I just want to do what is best for her.....
Thoughts?

3 comments:

Suzanne M. Jones said...

That's funny! She's just ahead of the game! Do you sit with her while she eats? You could eat cheerios too and just show her how to be dainty and lady-like :-) I used one of the snack cups with the lid for cheerios so Jack could only get out a few at a time. Have you tried lasagna with her yet? Jack used to shovel that in like Kaylee does her cheerios.

Deanna Buoniconti said...

Hey Jennie. I don't think you should be "worried". I know that doctors talk about this alot, and its something i've worked with Brady on. It's a stage in development and thats why they point it out (called pincher grasp). Instead of giving Kaylie a bunch of cherrios, just give her one at a time. But cherrios are kind of small to start with. Does she eat crackers? that might be easier. I have some other "excersizes" that i work with Brady on for this very thing. Let me know if you want more ideas!

Chris said...

I have lots of thoughts! Kaylie loves to eat so why would she take one little cheerio at a time? She's too smart for that! When her plate starts to get empty she does pick up the remaining pieces with her thumb and first finger. She seems extraordinarily normal to me! She picks things up off the ground (little pods from the tree today) with her thumb and first finger. She is very coordinated doing that! Every little thing she sees she picks up that way--just not her food!